Monday, April 27, 2009

A 4yr old autopsy assistant

When I brought Thad home I told the kids it would be a short while before he had to go somewhere else. After his backyard eviction, he relocated himself to the oleander bush outside our bedroom window. He began attracting attention of onlookers who'd notice him rooting in the field. He dug up my flowers twice. When I saw two days of "Swine flu" headlines last week it became apparent that eventually some mom would wonder if this pig gave their kid a runny nose. I decided this past weekend he had to be relocated by any means necessary. I gave the kids advance notice...by trap, rope, or termination.

Claire immediately voted the fatal choice if it meant "..I could see his guts."

Thad had grown too big and smart for the cage trap. He couldn't fit in the door and would just push it around until food fell out (see the weights leaning against the trap trying to hold it in place?). Out of many attempts to lasso, only once did I hoop his neck and he freaked out and immediately loosed himself. By Sunday afternoon, options were exhausted and I had to kill Thad. Turns out Thad's a girl. Gwen wasn't happy, Race didn't care, and Claire got busy talking about dissection. Gwen's face shows a lack of enthusiasm, to say the least. Claire's is beaming with excitement. Coroner? Veterinarian? Anatomy Professor? Surgeon? Pork Farm processor? What will she become... Whatever that is, this pic shows she will always have a place for Thad's heart.
I just wanted to get it done. Thanks for 3 months of entertainment Thadisha. Thanks Daniel for helping me clean her more quickly!

8 Comments:

Blogger Christina Ketchum said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!

7:10 PM  
Blogger DA Wagners said...

I love Claire!

Sorry to see the Thad saga has ended. Daniel loved driving past your house to get a look at him -- I mean her! Have no idea what the attraction was.

I'm not too thrilled that we have half of Thad in my freezer. I need to hurry up and make Thad-soup or Thad-kbobs ... or how about Thad-pie!

Maybe I can whip something up and give it to an unsuspecting neighbor. The Fines might love it and they don't read blogs, do they?

8:37 PM  
Blogger DA Wagners said...

Just in case Daphne reads this blog, the chicken curry I gave you yesterday really was chicken ... not Thad!

8:38 PM  
Blogger Christina Ketchum said...

Alisa, I'll help you eat some Thad when I come up. We can have thad adobo!

11:22 AM  
Blogger Mariah said...

Unbelievable. All of it!

12:20 AM  
Blogger Mariah said...

BTW, your backyard looks FANTASTIC!

12:21 AM  
Blogger April said...

Wow. I'm just not even sure what to say.

9:13 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

Way to go, Claire! You will make a compassionate coroner. I can see the love you have for the individual...ROFL

3:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home